To honor the season in which we celebrate the first advent of our Savior, Jesus Christ, we’re exploring the topics of Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace at New City Church. Here’s the first installment, Hope. Enjoy, and let me know how the Lord has given you hope!
Hope Demands Reason
- 1 Peter 3:15 says, “But in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.”
Hope Leads to Confidence
- “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us” (Romans 5:1-5).
Hope Longs for a Source
- “Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word” (Ps. 119:74).
- “My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word” (Ps. 119:81).
Hope Leads to Purity
- “And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure” (1 John 3:3).
Hope Fosters Perseverance
- “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal” (2 Cor. 4:16-17).