To honor the season in which we celebrate the first advent of our Savior, Jesus Christ, we’re exploring the topics of Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace at New City Church. Here’s the 2nd installment, Love. Enjoy, and let me know how the Lord has taught you about Love! The following points have been gleaned from the apostle John’s first epistle, a short but powerful letter to a young church.
God’s Love Saves Us from Sin (chap 1)
- 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
God’s Love Separates Us from Sin (chap 2)
- “Do not love the world or the things in the world.If anyone love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world — the desire of the eyes, the desire of the flesh, and the pride of possessions — is not from the father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever” (1 John 2:15-17).
God’s Love Shows Itself to Others (chaps 3-4)
- 1 John 3:18: “Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.”
- 1 John 4:19-21: “We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this is the commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.”
God’s Love Ultimately Overcomes (chap 5)
- “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God,and everyone who loves thee Father loves whomever has been born of him. . . . Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?” (1 John 5:1, 5).
I hope that you enjoyed this installment of the Advent calendar. If you’ve been dealing with issues surrounding love, I highly recommend you read 1 John. It’s an amazingly succinct but powerful letter.